ARCHS is proud to celebrate the many achievements of Laura Haywood. Laura is a graduate of ARCHS' Culinary Institute for Ex-Offenders. She was recently recognized by her employer for her stellar work at Ballpark Village.
In 2016, Laura was also honored by Employment Connection as their "Adult Client of the Year." In September 2016, ARCHS invited Laura to meet with officials from the Missouri Departments of Corrections and Social Services to tell her story and share her life experiences, struggles, and successes.
The Culinary Institute is a partnership of ARCHS, Employment Connection, and St. Louis Community College-Forest Park. Pictured: Laura Haywood (left) with ARCHS' Gail Dickson.
On October 20, 2016 ARCHS participated in a panel discussion as part of the Capacity Builders Conference at St. Louis Community College-Florissant Valley.
Network for Strong Communities partnered with The St. Louis Department of Economic Development to host the Conference. ARCHS' Chief Executive Officer Wendell Kimbrough provided an update on ARCHS' network of 36 supported organizations and programs.
The event provided not-for-profits with tools to help grow their organizations and secure sustainable resources - with a focus on those that are physically located in the St.Louis Promise Zone.
Pictured (left to right): Melinda McAliney (Lutheran Foundation of St. Louis), Diane Drollinger (Network for Stronger Communities), Wendell Kimbrough (ARCHS), and Gwen Wesley (Spirit of St. Louis Women's Foundation).
Fall 2016, three youth received their first employment opportunity by securing jobs at the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant. They are participating in an ARCHS' supported youth mentoring program that provides job readiness preparation. The youth also participate in career exploration activities and field trips to area colleges and businesses.
Congratulations to the youth and their mentors for this achievement. The program is a partnership of ARCHS, Missouri Division of Youth Services (DYS), and Fathers' Support Center.
ARCHS welcomes Gene Slay’s Girls & Boys Club of St. Louis to the After School for All Partnership (ASAP) network. This school year, ASAP will fund and support 48 after school slots at the Club.
The Club brings to ASAP a rich history of serving area youth. Father Charles P. Maxwell launched the Boys’ Club of St. Louis on October 3, 1929 on the second floor of St. Vincent De Paul’s Catholic School. Under the sponsorship of the Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis, Fr. Maxwell’s new club was the first officially affiliated Boys’ Club in Missouri.
By 1933, the Club had an active membership of 1,200 boys. It had proved itself worthy of community support and was admitted to the St. Louis Community Chest – the forerunner to the United Way. Over the next 30 years, the Club moved a number of times before completing and occupying the current 36,000+ square foot facility at 2524 South 11th Street in 1959.
In May 2006, to honor Eugene P. Slay, who served as President and CEO from 1993 until his passing in 2011 and dedicated his life to making things better for the kids, the Club was renamed the Gene Slay’s Boys’ Club of St. Louis. To reflect its expansion to serve girls on a full time and permanent basis, the Club was renamed the Gene Slay’s Girls & Boys Club of St. Louis in 2016.
Since 2007, ASAP has provided licensed, well-rounded after school programs that focus on academic support/enrichment, social and life skills, health and recreation, character development, and parent and family involvement. ASAP programs annually serve more than 2,000 youth. This school year, ASAP will offer programs at 30 locations.
In August 2016, The Saigh Foundation awarded $6,950 to ARCHS in order to expand vision care for underserved St. Louis children this school year. The Saigh funds purchased one Spot Vision Screener so that Kids Vision for Life – St. Louis (KVFL) and its vision health partners can now more accurately screen for eye disorders and also screen children less able to read.
KVFL serves un/underinsured children in 12 local school districts through an effective school-based model that delivers free, comprehensive vision care via a mobile clinic van. Since September 2009, KVFL has proudly prescribed more than 12,000 pairs of eyeglasses for students who otherwise would not have easy access to vision health resources. The success of KVFL and its mission to serve these children depends on financial support from donors.
Donate today to make a difference in a child's life!